Thursday, February 2, 2012

Birdsong Returns

Although we can hardly say that we've had a winter so far this year, it's still exciting to see signs of spring. This morning on my walk around the park I heard at least 2 (possibly 3) counter-singing cardinals. It wasn't the first cardinal song I've heard this spring (I heard a very soft song from a male cardinal a few weeks back, and I've heard chickadee songs on-and-off since soon after the equinox), but it was the first full-throated, multiple-bird singing performance I've heard this spring. It feels good. It never ceases to amaze me how well-attuned animals are to the lengthening of days.

The ice on the lake has deteriorated drastically compared to just a few days ago. The skating area is closed (for the year?) and there are pools of water everywhere on top of the ice. This seems to be just the thing needed to draw larger numbers of crows back to the park. I noted at least 50 crows at the park this morning, when I'd been seeing less than 5 on most previous days.

No comments:

Post a Comment